The Marshal’s Cabin
The Hunting Cabin of Mannerheim, Marshal of Finland, or the Marshal’s Cabin is a hunting cabin built by Finnish soldiers for Marshal C.G. Mannerheim during the Continuation War and given to him as a present on his 75th birthday in 1942. The cabin was built east of the Finnish border. In 1944, during the final stage of the Continuation War, it was pulled down and moved to Finland and re-erected the next year on the shore of Lake Punelia in Loppi. Nowadays the cabin is open for the public, offering a variety of services.
The Marshal of Finland, Baron Carl Gustaf Emil Mannerheim is one of the most significant great men in Finnish history. He was Commander-in-Chief of four wars, Regent, President of the Republic and explorer. He was an avid hunter and horseman. As a young man he lived in the Grand Duchy of Finland, which belonged to Russia, and made a successful career as an officer of the Russian empire. In connection with the Russian revolution in 1917 he returned to Finland. Both as Commander-in-Chief during the Finnish wars and as President of Finland, his cool judgement and exceptional authority in Finland as well as abroad contributed towards Finland’s pulling through the difficult first decades of independence.